Monday, November 15, 2010

When under fire, no need to shoot the horse


Keeping things in perspective...



Remington New Army .36 cal.
1863 Police (Navy) revolver




Who needs to shoot horses
when you own a sweet baby .36 cal. Colt 1851 "Navy" revolver like the one above?

Or a .36 cal. Remington New Army Police (Navy) 1863 revolver like the one below:




******

U.S. Army tests back in 1835 urged a .45 cal. pistol to stop a horse.

But what are the chances I will face a cavalry attack in my mobile home park?

Most of my enemies will come "on foot."

Yet never say never.

There may come a time when I need to shoot a horse -- what with the way the world is going now!

It's no fun to be sabered by a rider on a pale horse.

But why be overarmed for the "worst possible case?"

Keep things in perspective.

For now the .36 is fine.

Still, keep a bigger gun in the background, just in case...

Now, scroll down to meet my two late gunfighter friends: William Hickok and John Wesley Hardin.

Each of them was satisfied with a .36.

"Men for all seasons" -- they each carried a Colt Navy Revolver.

Until they each got shot in the back of the head.

Not something to write home about.

******


Watch this video on outlaw
John Wesley Hardin's
.36 Navy Colt


******
Last night I loaded up my classic modern made .36 Navy Colt (Model of 1851) to use for home defense.


It replaces, for now, my heavier .45 Colt Army Model 1860, "New Dragoon."



Why not keep the lighter, perfectly balanced, fast handling weapon close at hand?

(It bears the name "Navy" because of the engraving of a naval engagement on its cylinder)

A classic piece once used by abolitionist John Brown and General Robert E. Lee.

-- Not to mention gunfighter "Wild Bill" Hickok and outlaw John Wesley Hardin.

I also have handy the .36 cal. Remington Police model.

*****
Now, to be sure, no one tries to break into my mobile home park...

Still, I believe it's unsporting to use a modern weapon in self defense.

If the old style was good enough for the guys who really needed it, it should be good enough for me.

Here is the company I kept, both of whom killed with a "Navy."


"Wild Bill:" lawman, gunfighter

******
Gunfighter, lawyer


The 1851 was the first "cap and ball" Colt Revolver light enough to be carried at the belt -- rather than in a horse holster.

But powerful enough to do real damage.

True the Model 1860 "New Dragoon" was preferred by cavalrymen -- for, as I said, army tests of 1835 concuded a minimum of .45 caliber was needed to down a charging horse.

British soldiers who used the lighter .36 during the Crimean War of 1853-56 found themselves sometimes sabered by charging mounted Cossacks.

Not something to write home about.




But I am not on horse.

Nor am I facing horsemen -- breaking into my home.

Not yet, anyway....

Just in case I hear the sound of horse, let's keep my two Remington .45 army revolvers on reserve.

It's a more reliable gun than the Colts.

(Based on an 1858 patent, the improved version was issued in 1863, in time to be the "top gun" of the American Civil War)

"No problem." As they say.