Thursday, April 8, 2010

A lesson in Geriatrics 101


******



Barring last minute revelations, illness, or death I will NOT be moving from New Bern, North Carolina to Huntsville, Alabama -- to be closer to my daughter Kara.

Sorry, Hank, I will not be joining you in your native 'Bama.

It is important to stay independent while still alive -- to have plenty of fun and games in North Carolina.





So I will just have to enjoy from a distance that musical genius Hank Williams, poet of the heart, master of the Honky Tonk.





Waylon Jennings; Hank Williams, Jr.:
"The Conversation"

Hank William as inspiration to Waylon Jennings.

(With whom I have a certain kinship since I once dated his former girl friend, a former bartender then on public assistance, a part native American, former Hippy whose husband was eaten in Somoa by a shark) .

With this well seasoned lady, I traveled to Petersburg, Virginia -- to complete the research for: "Lessons From the Crater: the Road to Cold Mountain."

As I say, dating can be fun.


Miranda James at the entrance to the Petersburg, Virgina
tunnel used to plant the horrendous explosion
at "The Crater," July 1864


The author: amidst ghosts of the past



"The Crater" blows



Are You Sure Hank Done It This A Way?

Hank, thin as a rail, suffering from the lonely pain of lifelong spinal bifida, until his death at 29.

Under appreciated in the North - a cultural giant of my times.

Saint? Northern Liberal?

No. Just a creative soul up from grim poverty in the shadow of the Great Depression and World War II.






So now in North Carolina it's time to party.

Bring on the Honky Tonk.

It's the only way to die.

And yes:

"Hank would have done it this a way."


Hank Williams: a modern touch



"I'm Alabama Bound"--
but still living in North Carolina