Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Holy Passages: when a donkey becomes a Baptist


Take me home to R.I.P.






*******

A pig named Curly has been dead several weeks.

There's still no funeral in sight.


For his preacher owner the grief has subsided...yet lingers.

Yes, Curly was his only pig....

And it's not every day that a caring master is forced to shoot his pig between the eyes.

The alternative was unacceptable.


And so old Curly lies a mouldering in his grave.

*******

"I called a preacher friend to preside at Curly's funeral," explains Curly's owner.

"But he's too busy with his wife. She's sick with cancer.

"Perhaps I should call the Methodist Memorial folks. They work with animals."


********


It's not as though Curly's grieving master is any stranger to good works.

"A few days back I got a call from a man who wanted a service for his dear deceased, long time companion, Pat.

"I drove out to help and asked where the casket was ....He led me to the barn..."



"Pat was a donkey.....

"I asked him if Pat were a Baptist.

"'No,' he replied.

"I guess it didn't matter, 'cause he offered me five hundred dollars. I did the service.

"That donkey's now a Baptist."

********

So Pat the Baptist donkey is home with God.

May Curly someday find a similar peace.

R.I.P., dear Curly.

You are missed.



*******